The Raspberry Pi 5 is the latest iteration of the popular single-board computer series. With its in-house designed silicon, the Raspberry Pi 5 offers 2–3× the speed of the previous generation, making it the fastest and smoothest Raspberry Pi experience yet. Here are some places where you can buy the Raspberry Pi 5 in the US.
Official Raspberry Pi Store
The official Raspberry Pi store is the first place to check for the Raspberry Pi 5. The store provides detailed information about the product, including its specifications and features. The Raspberry Pi 5 is built using the RP1 I/O controller, a package containing silicon designed in-house by Raspberry Pi. It features the Broadcom BCM2712 quad-core Arm Cortex A76 processor @ 2.4GHz, making it up to three times faster than the previous generation. With RAM variants up to 8GB, this is the fastest, smoothest Raspberry Pi experience yet.
The Pi Shop
Customers in the US and Canada will be directed to The Pi Shop. The Pi Shop is a reliable source for purchasing the Raspberry Pi 5. They offer detailed product descriptions and customer reviews, which can be helpful when making a purchase decision.
Before you pre-order, make sure you’re willing to wait till the item arrives. Some businesses may not ship their initial orders until early 2024, so you may need to be patient.
What Are Some Projects I Can Do With Raspberry Pi 5?
The Raspberry Pi 5 is a versatile platform that can bring various projects to life. Here are some innovative project ideas you can try:
- Home Media Center: Ever dreamed of having a cinema-like experience at home without burning a hole in your pocket? With the Raspberry Pi 5, this dream can come true. Thanks to its dual 4Kp60 HDMI display output and a 4Kp60 HEVC decoder, this tiny beast can become the heart of a potent home media center.
- Gaming Station: If you’re a gaming aficionado, the Raspberry Pi 5 is a single-board computer that you can’t afford to overlook. With its VideoCore VII GPU and support for OpenGL ES 3.1 and Vulkan 1.2, this device is more than capable of running various games, from retro classics to some of the latest titles.
- IoT and Home Automation: The Raspberry Pi 5 can be used to create a smart home system. You can connect various devices and sensors to it and control them remotely.
- Learning and Development Platform: The Raspberry Pi 5 is an excellent tool for learning programming and hardware development.
- Magic Mirror: A magic mirror is a mirror with an electronic display behind the glass. The display can show the time, date, weather forecasts, and more.
- Weather Forecasting Station: Create your own weather forecasting station.
- Retro Console with PacMan: Build your own retro console with PacMan.
- Store Personal Files on your own NAS: You can use the Raspberry Pi 5 to create a Network Attached Storage (NAS) for storing and accessing your personal files.
- Old TV To Smart TV: Convert your old TV into a smart TV.
- Mini PC in your Pocket: Carry a fully functional computer in your pocket.
- Password Manager you can take anywhere: Create a portable secure password manager.
These projects vary in difficulty level and are great for beginner-level students and even advanced users. The Raspberry Pi 5 project ideas with source code are great for adults starting to come over to IT or even existing professionals looking for a challenge.
What Are The Specifications of Raspberry Pi 5?
The Raspberry Pi 5 is a powerful single-board computer with the following specifications:
- CPU: Broadcom BCM2712 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU, with 512KB L2 caches and a 2MB shared L3 cache.
- GPU: VideoCore VII GPU, supporting OpenGL ES 3.1, Vulkan 1.2.
- Display Output: Dual 4Kp60 HDMI® display output with HDR support.
- Video Decoder: 4Kp60 HEVC decoder.
- RAM: LPDDR4X-4267 SDRAM (4GB and 8GB SKUs available at launch).
- Wireless Connectivity: Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth 5.0 / Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).
- Storage: microSD card slot, with support for high-speed SDR104 mode.
- USB Ports: 2 × USB 3.0 ports, supporting simultaneous 5Gbps operation, 2 × USB 2.0 ports.
- Ethernet: Gigabit Ethernet, with PoE+ support (requires separate PoE+ HAT).
- Camera/Display Transceivers: 2 × 4-lane MIPI camera/display transceivers.
- PCIe Interface: PCIe 2.0 x1 interface for fast peripherals (requires separate M.2 HAT or other adapter).
- Power Supply: 5V/5A DC power via USB-C, with Power Delivery support.
- GPIO: Raspberry Pi standard 40-pin header.
- Real-time Clock (RTC): Real-time clock (RTC), powered from an external battery.
- Power Button: The power button.
This makes the Raspberry Pi 5 a versatile and powerful tool for a wide range of applications, from home media centers to IoT projects and more.
In conclusion, the Raspberry Pi 5 is available for purchase from several online retailers. However, due to its popularity, it may be sold out or show limited stock in some stores. Always check the official Raspberry Pi store first for the most reliable information and updates.