A business analytics solution, Power BI (Business Intelligence), is a tool that allows you to visualize data, share insights across your organization, or embed them in your app or website. There are several products and services in the Power BI suite, and the value is getting the most of each one, as well as maximizing how they work together. What should you consider before implementing Power BI?
Power BI Has Seven Reasons You Should Choose It – And One Reason You Should Not:
- It is a form of artificial intelligence. Azure Machine Learning allows users to create models, perform image recognition, and leverage text analytics within Power BI.
- Microsoft’s integration with Cortana. Microsoft’s digital assistant, Cortana, integrates with Power BI to perform in synchronization. To access charts and graphs, users can ask questions in natural language. Besides, mobile users in particular may find this aspect useful by enjoying the amount of convenience it has to offer.
- Customization of security features. Using row-level security (RLS), report developers can ensure that viewers see only relevant data for them, mitigating the risk of inappropriate data viewing.
- Customizable navigation for Power BI apps. A “navigation experiences” feature lets developers customize navigation so viewers can find content quickly and understand the relationship between reports and dashboards.
- Information in real-time. Streamed or pushed data updates the dashboard in real-time, providing viewers with the ability to identify opportunities and address problems quickly. Real-time data and visuals are available in every report and dashboard. Any source from which time-sensitive data can be collected or transmitted can supply streaming data, including factory sensors and social media sources.
- Distribution and publication streamlined. Reports and visualizations are uploaded to the Power BI service rather than emailed or put on a shared drive, and data is updated whenever the underlying dataset changes.
- Let’s start quickly. A simple setup, no training required, and dashboards for services such as Salesforce, Google Analytics, and Microsoft Dynamics will make it easy for you to gain insights quickly.
Developers can integrate Power BI dashboards and reports into their own applications, for use either within their own organization – which requires users to sign into a Power BI account – or for use by a client or customer who does not have a Power BI account. On-premises report server, Report Server. Reports can be created in Power BI Desktop or Power BI Pro, and viewers can access them on a web browser or mobile device, or they can receive them by email. If a company has restrictions on cloud usage, Report Server might be useful.
Power BI Premium is not a software application like Power BI Desktop and Pro. Organizations can share reports using Premium in a Microsoft-hosted cloud. Dedicated capacity can be allocated based on the number of users, workload demands, or other factors – and scaled up or down based on those factors. Power BI Pro is a cloud-based software that costs $10 per user a month. There is a big difference between Power BI Desktop and Power BI Pro in the ability to collaborate with other Power BI users as well as share reports and visualizations across organizations.
Here is an introduction to a few Power BI best practices.
- Import what you need
Instead of importing the entire datasets, Why don’t you import the essential data. This specific practice of importing the required data is highly beneficial for the workflow. It helps keep the model as narrow and lean as possible for the individual while diminishing the amount of work. The import of certain columnar indexes is more lean & efficient when following this Power BI best practice.
- Data models should not include complex measures or aggregations
Wherever possible, push calculated columns and measures closer to the source of data to improve performance. It would help ease the workflow, saving the time wasted in assessing and creating the Data models. In addition, you should use calculated measures and not calculated columns to design data models based on a star schema.
- Data gateway on-premises
In addition to being a good practice, it is also suggested that an on-premises data gateway should be used instead of Personal Gateway. The Enterprise Gateway does not import anything when you work with large databases.
- Organize the data for Power BI reports
Power BI reports are best suited for the categorization of data in the categories such as HBI, MBI, and LBI. You can create data classifications in Power BI to raise awareness about the security level required. Also, you will learn how to distribute reports both inside and outside the company.
- Filters should not be hierarchical
It’s what you need to do when you observe poor performance in Power BI. Are you having trouble loading pages quickly while using hierarchical filters? Give this a try! Disable the hierarchical filters. Using multiple filters for the hierarchy will optimize performance in Power BI.
- Customize Microsoft AppSource visuals
Power BI-certified custom visuals are certified by Microsoft for robustness and performance. All AppSource visuals are edited for quality and can be exported to PowerPoint and can be subscribed to via email.
- Activate Row-Level Security (RLS)
According to RLS, Power BI only imports the data that the user has been granted access to, limiting access to certain columns in a database depending on the user’s characteristics. What can be done to improve performance? Combined Power BI roles and roles on the backend can enable this.
- Don’t interact with visuals unless necessary
By removing unnecessary visual interactions, you are able to achieve this. Due to the default interactive nature of all visuals on a report, this is possible. For optimum performance, the interactivity should be adjusted.
All of these Power BI best practices should be followed in every project.
Also Read: – Is Carrier Hub Necessary? Everything You Need To Know
It is recommended that you become familiar with the work process and incorporate it into your work. By implementing Power BI best practices, you can drive operations as well as marketing. There are many Power BI dashboards that are used every day by enterprise users.