Windows 10 has improved its windows backup system, and the main advantage of this backup system is that it can restore a complete system in case of a software or hardware failure. If you compare it from their previous versions of windows, we did not have daily backups in older versions of windows, but in the latest windows, it is more suitable for users as they are providing a built-in file backup system.
The problem with Window’s built-in backup system is that they occupy a large amount of disk space of your computer without the knowledge of its user, and the reason could be the backup have turned on by default without the user’s permission. A full drive will cause the computer to hang, the computer will run slow, and it will not be able to store new backups. In this scenario, you must know how to delete backup files in windows 10, and there are several methods of deleting the backup files in Windows 10.
How to delete Backup files in Windows 10?
Delete Windows File History
- Open the Windows Settings right-click on the Windows Start menu and click on Settings.
- Click Update & Security > Backup. If you’re using Windows File History already, then click on More options
- In the Backup options menu, change how often file backups are made and how often they’re saved before being deleted. Change these in the Back up my files and Keep my backups drop-down menus.
- By default, the Keep my backups option is set to Forever change this to delete backups every month.
- Disable Windows File History by clicking on the Stop using this drive option in the Backup options menu.
Delete Backup files using Command Prompt.
- Go to the Search menu, type Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- In the command prompt, type any of the following commands along with the time period of the version you want to delete and press Enter.
- More than 1 month – FhManagew.exe -cleanup 30
- More than 3 months – FhManagew.exe -cleanup 90
- More than 6 months – FhManagew.exe -cleanup 180
- More than 1 year (by default) – FhManagew.exe -cleanup 365
3) If the previous version files can’t be found, then delete the recent files, i.e., FhManagew.exe -cleanup 30
Also Read: – What Does Unlisted Mean On Youtube Videos: Complete Answer
Frequently Asked Question
Few questions people asked over the internet related to “how to delete backup files in Windows 10.”
Q. How to delete old backup files in windows 10?
- Click on the Advanced settings link on the left side.
- Open Control Panel, click System & Security, then click on the File History icon.
- Click on the Clean up versions link in the Versions section.
- Select the time period of versions you want to delete, and then click on Clean up.
- If the cleanup is completed successfully, click on OK.
Q. How to delete app backup files in windows 10?
- Press Win+R keys on your keyboard to open the Run dialog.
- Enter this command: %localappdata%
- Head over to the Temp folder
- Select all files by pressing Ctrl+A
- Press the Delete button to remove all these unnecessary temporary app files.
I hope you guys understood the steps on how to delete backup files in Windows 10 and were able to clean up the disk space on your Windows 10 computer.